Monday, September 8, 2014

Spring into Fall


It's that time of year, with the leaves starting to change and the weather cools down, that we want to feel warm and cozy and "fall" into the autumm trends (pun intended)...


Summer here in Chicago this year felt more like spring, at least in my opinion. So although it was great, mild weather most of this summer, I fairly do enjoy the thought of autumn being right around the corner. With new fashion and beauty trends emerging, I thought I'd focus on the small things that make me feel warm and cozy, for this fall and every fall that comes around.
 Working at Starbucks definitely comes with its perks. I love grabbing me some of the VIA packs, whether it be the caramel ice coffee packs for the summer or my new love and obsession, the VIA Pumpkin Spice Latte packs for the fall. I drink this latte non-stop and will continue to do so as I am one of those crazy pumpkin lovers who adores everything pumpkin. This is one of those essentials that cater to a cold, windy day, especially here in Chicago.

Coffee is not a definite must for me, so on those days when I opt for more of a relaxed, not heavily caffeinated drink, I go for teas or a chai tea latte. My faves range from the Tazo teas to the Pacific Chai which, let me say, tastes DIVINE with warm almond milk. I do love
 adding a dollop of steamed almond milk to whatever tea I choose to go for as it whisks away some of the "herbal" tea taste, as I'm not one who relishes in that tea after taste. Adding a bit of honey gives any tea a bit of sweetness or I interchange with now using Agave nectar in my teas, as it gives a sort of nuttier and softer taste than honey does.

As I mentioned before, I do love Tazo teas, such as the Zen, Vanilla Rooibos, or Chamomile to name a few.


I particularly love learning about what new beauty trends emerge every season. As I've been
 researching on what the scoop is on beauty products for Autumn of 2014, a statement lip is again (and probably always will be) a trend for every fall.

Considering I have a boat-load of lipsticks, ranging from bold, plum reds to bright corals and pinks, I went on a hunt to find what lip colors I would go back to wearing, as my bold lip for this fall.

I came to the final four, shown to the left and bottom. Starting from the

 left and going to the right is the Sephora Lip Cream Stain in Always Red, Revlon's Colorstay Liquid Lipstick in Brilliant Bordeaux (nice dupe for the Sephora lipstain), MAC's Cremesheen Lipstick in Girl About Town, and Revlon's Creme Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow. 

All are very pigmented lipcolors, ranging from a bold bright red like the Sephora and Revlon lipstains to more of a fuschia purple with the MAC lipstick and more of a red-fuschia with the Revlon lipstick at the end. 

I absolutely love and recommend these four lip products, as they are all moisturizing, very pigmented, and have a good amount of wear and stay power for the amount you're paying for each.
 On a recent trip to Marshalls, I acquired a bunch of different journals, ranging from $3.99 to $6.99. I cannot say enough how much of a journal hoarder I am and will be for years to come probably. I have such a collection of journals, but with each one, there's much to write about.

I've slowly become more aware of how much writing in a journal can alleviate the every day stresses of life. From jotting down blog ideas to problems I encounter on an
everyday basis, journals have helped me release the tons of ideas the my mind conjures up and stores them in writing.

It has not only become stress-relieving, but more of a practice. When there's no one else to release your problems to or converse with, a journal can sort of be that guide one might need to feel more at ease and have peace of mind. Not only do journals keep your secrets, but they can't talk back. It's a nice bonus.

So I can ramble on and on about my love for journals, but with fall and winter coming, I know it can be a more quiet and less active time for many. People suffering from anxiety and depression will know that around this time of year, it can get quite crazy mentally. The solution for me has been to dive into a journal and just let my stream of thoughts flow through. Just knowing you can let your thoughts out and into paper, be creative or just cry about things, doodle or brainstorm, journals can be that source of comfort and creativity. I know it is for me.

Going back to ways on not feeling down this fall, in case a cup of pumpkin spice coffee doesn't do

the trick, trying to get into an exercise routine can work wonders, not only for the body, but on the mind and soul.

This semester, I have the joy of finally taking a Yoga class. Let me say that it is definitely NOT easy. With a variety of different poses that I performed on the first class, my body was aching in parts where they never ached before. Poses, such as the Uttanasana pose (extension pose), the Vrksasana pose (tree pose), Tadasana pose (mountain or standing pose), and the Savasana pose (relaxation or "corpse" pose) really helped my body become at peace with my mind.

I've reached points of relaxation that I could not have done so before taking this class and, although there will be much to endure in the upcoming semester, I am excited to see how far my body can take me in my journey of Yoga. I will be updating and sharing more Yoga knowledge and wisdom as I progress throughout this class as I know many can benefit from this art.

So although many dread the autumn and winter seasons coming very soon, as many Chicagoans know, I believe in looking at the positives in what it may bring. Sure, it will be cold (brutally cold is a better way to put it) and to many it may feel like a period of loneliness and not much going on, but let's be more positive of how we look at it. Yes, I do love and enjoy what's to come with all things fashion and beauty this fall, but also the coming of Thanksgiving, warm meals, leaves changing colors, and spending time with those who surround you give it a more positive outlook. This time of year gives us a better chance to lavish in the hugs of those we love and truly appreciate what we have. It's not a time where we believe everything wilts and is gone, but to open up more and create a sense of change within ourselves, to start over again.

Yes, I'll miss the pretty roses in my garden and all the green leaves, but they will be back again soon, as will everything that is of importance to you. Make every day count, whether it be spring, summer, or fall. Every day can be a great day...





 First image courtesy of Google
);