Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hair Topix: The Clipper




As many have asked how I do my hair or who cuts it, I thought I would do a "pic" friendly post on what I use to get either a more polished "fauxhawk" or a more tousled look to the hair.


As you will see, I use a mixture of clippers and hair products to achieve the look that I like. Everyone is different and fauxhawks in general are up to preference on the person who has it of course. I like to have versatility when it comes to my hair and I love to play around with it. It's all trial and error when you first begin to chop off more and more of your hair and when experimenting with it. I've found to like this style and cut on me as I think it suits my face shape and lifestyle in general. 

Fauxhawks in general are a sort of trend that actually began awhile back, beginning in men and transitioning into the likes of women. The above is my personal favorite, worn by the beautiful Carla Zuniga. It's more of a fluttery, disheveled look with a bit of chopped layers in between so it doesn't look overly polished



Romi Ray also is one of the few women where I can honestly say it looks stunning however she wears it. 



Although not a deal breaker, fauxhawks can accentuate a small to medium face and not appear overwhelming. Here it appears the sides a bit faded, from bottom to top on the beautiful Ruby Rose.

I am quite aware that hair stylists use a variety of tools and techniques to achieve different styles of fauxhawks. I might create a separate blog post dedicated to the techniques that I use with the tools shown to achieve the look that I want and like on myself.

I ordered new clippers recently and decided to create a post to show the kind that I use (which are fairly inexpensive, yet perform great). I purchased them on eBay and are brand new. They are so easy to use and cut the hair extremely well, whether you want a small trim or a very close shave. 




I absolutely adore these Revlon shears. They are the only ones I reverted to use as they cut hair in a breeze, create layers extremely well, and are nice to hold. Although they are quite heavy, the platinum finish is sure to make them last quite a long time and you can create so many looks with just these pair of shears.







 The three sizes of clips I use for MY hair are shown below... The clips are all color coded to best suit the trim you would like without hesitation




I do like and use the handy comb that comes with the kit as you can use it to create layers and definition either with the shears or clipper..


Now...upclose and personal with this bad boy...





 Side to side comparison of my Revlon shears and the Wahl shears...I do prefer my Revlon shears hands down



When I have finished the big job with my Wahl clipper, I go to the Wahl Tattoo Clipper for smaller jobs and even works for those wanting graphics. I love to use this small guy on the side burns and those pesky hard to reach areas on the nape of the neck and does an excellent job at that. Not only does it do a wonderful job at the smaller areas, but looks mighty nice too




On most days, I go to my GHD one inch flat iron, which I've mentioned before in other posts, to tame really curly or unnecessary wavy pieces. If I do want that wavy look, it is also great at creating texture without having to add product to the hair. It heats up very quickly and great to hold.





Now onto the styling products. As of this moment, I am using most of the ones mentioned below, or I either gravitate towards one more than the other, depending on how I want my hair to look for that day.





The Samy Under Control Molding Wax is absolutely a delight to use ONLY when used on damp hair. It creates nice texture, definition, and shine and only a small amount is needed to give that disheveled look that can be seen on Carla Zuniga in the first picture on this post. I do have to say that after wearing it for a full day, the hair does need to be cleansed after every use because it can create flakiness and dry the hair out which is the only con to this product. But for it's main purpose and for performance, it is great to use.





The Garnier Fructis Power Putty is a nice option if you want more of a natural, beachy look to the hair, hence the name. It does not give immense hold and definition as I would like it to, but it is a great product for that out of bed, tousled look without much effort put into it.



The Redken Power Tame Balm is a great product to use when you want that edgy, extreme look. I love to use this when my hair is wavy, right out of the shower and I want straight hair that's sort of spikey. I add a bit of this to damp hair and blow dry on the cool setting and then use my GHD to really give me that sleek and straight look to my fauxhawk. Although a bit on the pricier side than the other two products, it is definitely worth the extra bit of money if your hair can be a bit on the unruly and thick side like mine.




And last, but certainly not least, my holy grail hairspray. I adore this product to pieces as it always gives me great hold without too much crunch and can withstand terrible humidity and heat. It holds any style that I create and isn't terribly expensive. This product is the last that I use after everything to really give me the fauxhawk that I want and worked to achieve.


End result..


I hope this post was helpful to some of you wondering about what I use to style and cut my hair. It takes a bit of work to get to the hair cut and style you really want, especially if it's your first time using clippers or a pair of shears. It can be scary. It can definitely be frightening, but like I always say, it's hair. Hair grows back and it's all about experimentation and having fun with what's on your head. If you don't like it, try something else. In the end, I know you'll be satisfied after MANY attempts, trust me, it takes a couple of times to get a hang of things. It's about the process and journey of getting there and what you learn for your hair experience. So learn about your hair and just have fun!!

Intro images courtesy of Google

);